While fixing a malfunctioning garage door, understanding how it works is extremely beneficial. Any type of machine has a tendency to malfunction with continued use. Even the garage door tends to develop issues over time. Thus, it needs periodic upkeep and maintenance services or occasional repairs. In this article, here is a brief guide that will show the mechanism of the automatic garage doors. You can also consult professional garage door companies like, Ace Garage Door Repair to help you in this regard.
How garage door works:
There are two basic parts of the garage door; one is the garage door itself and the other is the operating mechanism that opens and closes the garage door. Most of the problems that crop up with the garage door are because either of the parts is not functioning well.
Garage door repair tips and techniques:
When the garage door swings upward or rolls up on overhead tracks, springs are used to generate and release the tension. Special metal tracks are used to make it move upward or downward along the walls. When the garage door does not move smoothly or create loud creaking sounds, the problem lies with the traction of the garage door. Here are some useful garage door repair tips:
- Ensure that the metal tracks are not clogged and in good shape. The mounting brackets should be hinged to the metal tracks. Inspect them to find out the flats, dents, and crimps in these components. If you find sever damages, use a plastic hammer to straighten the tracks. In case of serious damages, consider replacing them.
- Check the alignment of tracks and springs. Both tracks should be aligned to each other. In case, you find any discrepancy, just loose the screws of the tracks to tap then to their original position. You can use a simple screw driver and spanner to do it. Badly dented tracks should be replaced.
- Make sure that all garage door components are cleaned and lubricated. You may use grease or any premium quality lubricant on all parts every once in a while. It helps in the smooth movements of garage door. Clean them with a damp cloth to absorb extra oil. In case, they are worn out or rusted badly, they need to be replaced.
- Check the garage door itself to find out the damages. It may be coming off the metal tracks because it is not strong enough. If it is in poor working position or seems beyond to repair, you need to replace the entire garage door. Consider buying a latest and advanced model of garage door.
- Make sure that there is nothing that obstructs the path of garage door. Roll-up garage doors tend to attract dirt and there is a trend of gunk and grease accumulation in the pathways. Use a flash light for the detailed examination. Normally, in the situation, garage door will open to its half way and then stop.
Caution: Don’t try to attempt garage door repair on your own. Get professional assistance to get the tensed parts replaced. Any garage door part replacement should be done under professional supervision. Tensed parts such as torsion springs can be extremely dangerous to handle on your own.